My first GFCF cake and cookie


Carrot walnut cake 
1 cup walnuts
21/2 cups finely grated raw carrots
2 cups self raising flour
½ teaspoon salt
11/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 eggs
11/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup refined sunflower oil
2tsp vanilla essence/vanilla extract
  Roast the walnut until light brown, cool and chop coarsely.
Peel and finely grate the carrot.
In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, salt and ground cinnamon.
In a bowl either with electric mixer/hand mixer beat the eggs until frothy. Gradually add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light colored.
Add the oil in a steady stream and then beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated.
Fold in the grated carrots and nuts with a spatula. Grease the baking pan; preheat the oven to180 degrees c.
Bake for 5-6 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

One can add raisins, it is optional. The first time around I was a little ambitious and added date. The cake got burnt around the dates.
Vanilla essence and vanilla extract are the same for all practical purposes. As somebody had written the essence is chemical crap while the extract is natural and hence more expensive.
 This has been a foolproof recipe for me maybe the exception being  the first time around. Immediately after I stared the diet it was my daughter’s birthday. This was her birthday cake and it was a super success with the kids. Need I say more. they asked for a second and third .This receipe has been adapted from joy of baking.com.Many of the receipes here can be converted to gfcf.  
Gfcf cookies
This is one of the first recipe I wanted to try, but for want of Xanthan, I refrained. This was the first GFCF cookie that IAll along in my posts I have been lamenting the lack of certain ingredients. Incidentally this was the first baking  baked.  I substituted Xanthan gum with gelatin.  Many thanks to Karyn Seroussi for the original recipe, author ofUnraveling the mystery of autism and PDD


In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients
Tapioca flour –21/4 cups
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
¼ tsp gelatin
In a blender, mix
1 cup almonds
¼ cup water
½ cup vegetable oil
1tsp vanilla
Grind the nuts very fine. I just added all the ingredients in one go. Bring to a dough consistency as for roti. Roll the dough to make cookie cutter cookies. Use a cookie cutter to give it a shape your child likes. Bake at 350 degrees. Set the time to your oven’s requirement. Karyn Seroussi recommends highly the use of an Airbake cookie sheet so as not to burn the cookies. I have not been able to find one, so I  have burnt couple of cookies every time. I sent the good ones in my son's snack box.Makes 30 cookies.
Karyn Seroussi book i a chronicle of her fight against autism and how GFCF diet helped. She is also the co founder of ANDI (autism Network for Dietary Intervention)

Comments

Popular Posts

The Bangalore experience:

Augmentative communication