Second in the series on time management, Asha Sreedhar speaks of her time management strategies, future planning, self-assessment, tools and aids.  Asha suggests that it would be ideal to comprehend the perspectives of neurodiverse individuals and customize solutions when creating practical time management programs.

1) Can you describe your current time-management strategies or routines? What methods do you find most effective in managing your time?

My current time management strategies and routines are following a routine time sheet for my work on weekdays. The method I find most effective is following the outlook calendar for meetings and sessions. On the weekends, if I am going out, I check how far or near is the place and plan the day by checking what time to leave my home as commuting takes time in the city and it is also very difficult to get transport (cabs and autorickshaws) on weekends. The method I find most effective on weekends is my phone with all the apps like Google Maps, Ola, Uber, etc.

2) How do you prioritize tasks and assignments? Can you share an example of a time when you successfully prioritized your tasks to meet a deadline?

I focus on what is important first and follow the outlook timeline schedule to check what tasks are taking place during the week. For example, I prioritized my tasks to meet a deadline by working in the office every day which helped me efficiently without distractions. I got the work completed in the office better without any delays.

3) Are there any specific tools or aids (e.g., calendars, planners, digital apps) you use to help you manage your time and stay organized? How do these tools assist you?

I mostly use the outlook calendar, date and time zone in my laptop, and a clock on my wall. They assist me by telling how many minutes I have till my meeting starts and what is the current time and date.

4) How do you self-assess your progress in terms of time management? Do you regularly reflect on your routines and make adjustments as needed?

I self-assess myself my progress in terms of time management by following a timeline schedule in outlook every day. I don't regularly reflect on my routines and I only make adjustments when things change or when it is necessary.

5) What are the environmental factors/ accommodations that can be addressed to help you manage time better?

One of our most important environmental factors which plays a role in my daily life is the climate that can be addressed to help me manage time better. For example, if it is a beautiful day with clear skies and sun, then it is nice to go for work and outdoors in the city. It will be easy to reach places on time with that kind of weather. If it is raining heavily or if the places are flooded with rainwater, it is difficult to travel and go outdoors. I would not be able to reach my destination on time which will be very slow.

There are no specific accommodations at the moment needed to support myself. I am currently happy with working in the office and at home. But I mostly prefer the office.

6) How much of future planning do you do? What are the supports you require to do that?

I do future planning everyday in my daily and working life. On weekdays, when I am working from home or in the office, I follow a timeline schedule and meeting calendar in Outlook to plan my tasks and attend meetings. On weekends, before I am going out to eat or visit a place, I first call that place and check whether it is open using the Google Maps App in my phone. After that, I use the transport apps like Ola, Uber, Rapido, etc. in my phone to book a cab or an autorickshaw to commute to that destination.

7)  Are there any time management programs/ books you have read? If so, what pointers helped you. If not, how could these be programs be made more meaningful for NDs?

I haven’t read any time management books/programs. Each and every individual has their own way of managing time. Each individual is different. When you collect the answers regarding time management from different neurodivergent individuals, it will help develop ideas for NDs.

 


 

Comments

Popular Posts

Augmentative communication

The Bangalore experience: