Individuals with autism may struggle with time management due to differences in their executive functioning, sensory impairments, and difficulty understanding abstract concepts. However, there are strategies and approaches that can help individuals with autism improve their time management skills. This series is an effort to understand time management strategies, preferences, tools, remote work vs. office, challenges and accommodations, when it comes to managing time. In this interview, Viraj Bhat discusses his challenges, specifically procrastination. He also talks about his strategies. What stands out is his respect for other people's time,  not wanting to be idle at office, which speaks volumes of his professionalism. 


1. You mentioned that managing time can be a challenge for you? Why do you think so?

Yes, it is, when it is unorganised, both in work and daily schedule. Sometimes I procrastinate. Since I am not required to go every single working day. Whatever time I spend at home, the routine isn’t fixed.

 

2. How has your sense of time helped you to structure your daily schedule and adding predictability? For instance, when you commit to a call at 4:30pm, you are prepared.  Similarly, If I had requested that you make a call at 4:30pm, you would follow through.

      Yes, definitely, because I consider it important that I respect other people's time.

 

3. Is procrastination partly because a lack of value for your own time?

Yes, to some extent, that is true. Also, part laziness. Sometimes I think I should go for a walk on the weekends in the morning. Then I push it to evening, and that doesn’t happen. I have the intention, but don’t work on it.

 

4. Could there be other reasons for procrastination? Continuing to work on your special interests, like games/videos. Reluctance to switch tasks. Initiating a new activity. Any other specific reasons.

Main reason is lack of motivation. To do any task, I require either pull motivation, push motivation or simply the interest in doing that task. I mean to say that I require fear of consequences of not doing it or the desire for reward s.


 5. Can you share your experiences when you think time is moving slow or fast?

Sometimes at work, time seems to go slowly. I am on time always, but I tend to leave early. If there is no work, I like to leave early, because I don’t like to sit idle. I keep my commitments, as I do not wish to displease other people.


 6. How did you organise yourself when preparing for exams or completing papers on time in school and college?

During the initial years, my mother helped, particularly in organizing my schedule around exam periods. I would skip questions I didn’t know or were difficult to answer; rather than trying to answer them. I wouldn’t spend too much time on an answer. I could complete papers on time. In college, I just skipped the examinations, as I had no motivation to get a respectable job.

 

7. When did you start managing time on your own? Planning, scheduling..

I began independently managing my time only after entering the workforce. For a few months I had also been keeping a clock in the restroom, upon the suggestion of my mother.

 

8. How do you organise yourself when you have an event to attend on the weekend?

In many cases, I tend to forget. So, I do keep calendar alerts. Mostly, alarms and calendar alerts work for me.

 

9. If you have many tasks to complete, how do you decide what to do first?

I attend to the one that are important and urgent first.

 

10. Do you prefer WFH or going to the office.

I don’t have any problem going to the office. But on days when there is less work, I prefer WFH as, I don’t like to be idle at office.

 

11. Do you do long term planning?

I do long-term planning for my finances. I discuss this with my mother.




 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts

Augmentative communication

The Bangalore experience: