The Big Picture

#voicesforinclusion-9


Meet our youngest respondent, Aratrik Dey, for  this series Voices For Inclusion. Additionally, this is the account of a family who continue to make an effort to make their son's world inclusive, in their sphere of influence. This family believes giving Aratrik a "normal" life filled with friends, relationships and outings is the most important thing. The first part of the interview is with Aratrik, who responded to a questionnaire. The second part is an interview with the Dey family.

Aratrik’s interview- Part 1

 

1) People have always felt the need to belong. Earlier it was with tribes and later with religions, sects, or states. But if one looks at history, for people the world over, inclusion in many situations has been a challenge.

                  What are your views on inclusion? Why is it important?

             Aratrik:  Understand that much of the diversity is being misunderstood by society. For me too many negative thoughts are associated with the noninclusion . For tomorrow  good people must be  grouped together for inclusion of all people in the mainstream of the society. Nobody should be excluded, what is important is love for humanity.  Me, as an autistic person, deprived of many opportunities; nonspeaking created problems. Hope that no other person faces the same.

2) You have had some wonderful mentors. If you had to pick some qualities of theirs that the society can imbibe, at large, what would they be?

                      My mentors and teachers are very good natured persons. They believe in me, trust in my ability, and together we spend very good time. Their self-respect, understanding and love for me is precious. If society imbibes these qualities, it would be good for humanity.

In my opinion Antara is like my friend, she's so good that I never felt like I am disabled. Only hoping for with each of other people be like her.

3) I read from your fb page, you have been part of social campaigns, like covid relief, blood donations. What are your takeaways from these experiences?

                  I Really feel that from the beginning, my opinion on the outside world has been formed by these events. My own self Advocacy power grew out of these.

4) I am aware that you enjoy reading, particularly philosophy. What qualities make a person a good human being? The significance of having a self-identity, regardless of how the outside world perceives you.

                   In my opinion knowing the answer to the questions posed by life is Knowing the life itself. Only books can help us to understand the unspoken language of life. Nothing in this world is more important than acquisition of knowledge. To me very much interesting subject is PHILOSOPHY. I'M currently reading Sophie’s world by Jostein Gaarder.  Good human beings don't oppress others.

 5) Learn about autism, from people with autism. Can you tell us a little about self-advocacy and the need to be heard.

                          It's important to know about different types of disabilities to support them. However the knowledge must be  first hand. Much of the information about autism are not talking about the intelligence of autistic people. People judge us just by observing our behaviour.  My feelings society should understand. Just because I don't talk nobody should discard my opinion.

 6) What makes you happy, then, in terms of the little joys in life?

                          I know that music is my most favorite thing on this earth. It gives me peace.  My not so easy life  is made meaning full by music.  My parents take me out to vacation. I like to travel to new places. New places give me knowledge about people living there, their lives, beauty and joy in nature.


                            Thank you Aratrik, for answering the questionnaire. 


#inclusion #philosophy #nonspeaking #vacation #music #reading @jostingaarder

Comments

Popular Posts

Augmentative communication

The Bangalore experience: