Divine Interlude


This was a sequel to my camping out with Rama. But this time we packed in more punch with the whole family joining in. Father, mother, son and daughter. Organized by Akhila and Ram from Coimbatore in tie up with NALS an Adventure company, we had a lovely, memorable holiday. We were a group of six families. The comfort level was so high, the company great, the food excellent, the weather to die for, the experience sheer joy.
                             We were put up in dorms with three tier beds and the kids freaked out. Isha had company with siblings who had also brothers with similar problem. And I even found her exchanging notes with them!!!!!!!! My brother kisses me, he can read ….
                           We did the usual activities, rope, trekking, bit of water play….Isha was the first to volunteer for the rope activity and Ramam followed suit. The treks were beautiful and the last one lasted about 2 hrs. Gave you an idea as to how much you can push yourself. The team of  NALS were very cooperative, and cheerful. Akhila also gave them a briefing on autism. Never miss an opportunity to spread awareness. The interest was genuine from their side.
                One memory that stayed with me and that I want to share  is this. Some of our kids are sensitive to getting wet. While trekking, there were small rivulets and puddles on the way. This mother was careful, that her son did not get his shoes wet. Her son is 20yrs old and  has motor difficulties also. In a moment of exasperation, trying to get him step on the stones and not water she sighed and said “My dear son of God”. I was right behind her. The phrase somehow sounded very soothing and beautiful to me at that point of time. I looked at that boy’s smiling face and felt he indeed was very dear to GOD. Somehow the utterance changed the connotation, the situation itself. She could have shouted at him, cursed him. I do it sometimes and I revert to my mother tongue when I curse.  I instantly felt what a wrong thing it is to do that. These children have but us, their immediate family. A Christian, the mother must have not thought so much while saying it, it is just a way of expression for her, but to me it sounded very right. The way the mother handled the child, I felt God must be choosing the parents carefully, although I deny the theories we are the chosen ones.
                  So that‘s it. But we 4 earned a well deserved break. Cut off from civilization, in the pristine beauty of nature, it was one of our best holidays.
                               

Comments

Popular Posts

The Bangalore experience:

Schools in Hyderabad and Tiruchi