Dance Drama and GFCF Cooking.

It has beeen quite some time since I posted something on GFCF cooking. Most visitors coming to my blog are looking at Ragi (finger millet) as a GFCF substitutue.So for the raagi lovers, here it is Raagi halwa.
                                 Just hold on, as I would also like to add that on the therapy side there was a follow up to the dance drama workshop mentioned in my earlier post. Sumathi Ramjee conducted the workshop at Rotary auditorium at Malleswaram.The next session is at ASHA School at 3. 15 pm on the 20th.It is open to all autistic children and a nominal amount of 100 is charged that goes to the corpus for stationary….The invite says ALL ARE WELCOME.
Ragi halwa can be made in two ways and I tried the first option as it is for one easier and the other calls for better planning.I got both these recipes online.
Ingredients:

1 cup ragi flour
1/2 cup GFCF flour
3 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cardamom powder
Roasted nuts and raisins
2 tbsp ghee
Heat ghee and roast the ragi flour for 3-4 minutes. Add the all purpose flour and roast for another 2 minutes. Add 3 cups of hot water to it and mix well without lumps. Add sugar, cardamom powder and keep stirring till it becomes a big lump. Add the roasted nuts and raisins and mix well. Transfer to greased plate. Cool and cut into pieces.
The second receipe is as follows
Ingredients:

Whole Ragi - 1 cup
Jaggery - 3/4 cup
Elaichi / cardamom - 3
Dry ginger - 1/4 tsp
Wash and soak ragi whole night in water. Prepare jaggery milk. Bring little water to boil add crushed jaggery and boil till it completely dissolves. Grind ragi with little water. Seive it and get milk using thin muslin cloth. Keep milk on gas and add some water, it requires lot of water and keep stiring till it starts to boil. It will become thick when it starts to boil. Allow it to boil for 10 minutes. Keep stirring in between. Pour jaggery milk and keep stirring on medium flame for another 15 minutes. At last put elaichi and dry ginger powder. Again boil for another 5 minutes and the consistence should not be too thick. Switch of the gas. Mean while grease some vessels with ghee and pour ragi halwa into each vessel and allow it to settle for about 5 to 6 hours. . Cut ragi halwa into squares and enjoy with some ghee on the top. Both the receipes have used jaggery . I was also told stevia that I available in Reliance wellness is an absolute safe substitute to sugar.  So there I sign off with the lingering sweetness of Raagi halwa in my mouth.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi I really like your blog.
I am a maters student and was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about it.
How long have you had your blog?
Halley
viji said…
Thank you,Halley. What is your subject. I have been writing this blog since last year.
Unknown said…
Thanks for replying to my comment. I am working on a paper for my Media Relations class I am in the Public Relations program. We pick a topic of interest and I want to work for non profits that help children.
Why do you think blogs exist?
Are you writing on this blog things you thought you would be writing when you started the blog a year ago?
How do you feel about all the new social media?
Thanks so much for your information you are helping so much and again I really enjoy reading you blog.
Halley
viji said…
Halley,
I started writing this blog with the intention of helping other people in the autistic community. When I say autistic community I refer to parents like me,and care givers. A blog is more of a personal space,giving you an identity . I started with GFCF recipes but then I am writing on anything and everything that comes under the spectrum, primarily because more readers benefit. Not all believe in the diet theory. I write about everything that I come across related to the problem.The media is doing a great job bringing to the forefron many problems that go unnoticed or misintepreted. There is a show on ZEE TV ,aap ki antara which highlights the story of an autistic child. People in rural India ,are now looking out for the early symptoms and taking their children to paediatricians seeking help. Early intervention is the way to go abut handling this problem. hope I have answered all ur questions.
Unknown said…
Thank you for all your help, sorry it took a little while to respond. I was on Spring Break :) I will keep reading and let you know what I have other questions. Thank you.
Unknown said…
Hello , how are your blog thought going? thank you for all your responses you have been a great help.
Halley

Popular Posts

Schools in Hyderabad and Tiruchi

The Bangalore experience: